Saturday, December 4, 2010

A tough week, to be sure

A tough week, to be sure! How and when did I get so popular. Something to do, somewhere to go, every day, even Saturday!

Sunday, as usual, went to the 11 a.m. Mass. During the Communion Break, we were treated to a solo of - O Come, O Come, Emmanuel - in many variations. So beautiful, that we all wanted to applaud but the solemnity of this portion of the Mass restrained us.

Monday, was tied up with doctor appointments. Seem these all come at the same time. How do I let that happen. Makes sense when I schedule them, but not when the day comes.

Knitting - finished a shawl for my Prayer Shawl Ministry. A creamy color by Simply Soft, a Caron yarn. It is so soft and pretty but I hated doing the pattern. A simple enough pattern but too simple for me. I keep making mistakes because of it's simplicity, my attention wandered. So simple and easy, I thought it was a snap and didn't need to pay attention. Seems I'm always learning lessons. Next shawl will be a more intricate pattern that I have to pay attention to and not think I know it all!

I have several other items on the needles. However, I just found a new pattern for an infinity scarf and just have to make it. Went through my stash but didn't have the appropriate yarn. Found the yarn called for at Yarncountry.com, Aslan's Del Cerro in Glacier Blue. Perfect. Also got 10 skeins of light blue for a sweater. That's for later and after I finish the sweater I have on the needles. Guess I'm just a yarnoholic, eh?

Why is Christmas shopping never fun? I spent an afternoon shopping for the small amount of gifts we have this year. These were outside gifts, like for charity. Gifts for the family were taken care of via internet and shipped to Susan in Melbourne to hold for us. That's easy.

The aquatics group went out to lunch on Friday, The Countryside Inn, Swathmore,PA. Friday is the only day free of classes. Jerry, a swimming classmate, thought up the idea and made all the arrangements. And he picked up the tab! What a generous guy!
We were all prepared to pay out own way but he made his arrangements ahead of time and they gave him the entire check! We'll get back at him sooner or later.

The restaurant is located inside a deli and market. The tables are in the middle of the store, with the deli counter and all its wonderful meats and cheeses on one side, while on the other side, are all sorts of tchotchkes on the shelves. All sorts of stuff like the almond cookies served with your lunch along with dolls, Christmas items, teapots, and myriad other things that just clutter up your house.

Today we have lunch with old friends of ours. We'll be going to Appleby's. Hope they are happy with the choice. And I won't elaborate on this further.

Trouble with the TV...I bit on an offer from Verizon for more, better service at a lower cost for 3 months, the price goes back up to our former cost. Too good to be true. So far, I haven't noticed a upswing in our internet connection and I can't get the On Demand free shows...the popular ones from the networks that are available a few days after their scheduled time.

I went into the big, new shiny Verizon store at the mall and told them my problem. "Oh," she said, the problem is with your settop box and remote control. You need to replace your old set. I'll just put it in this nice red, reusable bag and you can easily change it at home." At my look of dismay, she continues, "You just have to put this cable here and that cable here and plug it in." Oh sure.

Gave the nice red bag with the new equipment to the DH who immediately went into paroxysms, screaming all sorts of blue words. I left the room. Friday when I got home, there he was on the floor. I didn't see him there when I came in. He hollered for me to help him. "I'm here on the floor." Ever feel your heart drop? I did then. I raced around his usual sitting places but couldn't find him. In a panic, I run into the living room and there he was lying the floor in front of the TV, with the settop box hanging out of the credenza. With relief I helped him get the box and the DVD box back it's little compartment in the credenza.

Now to turn on the TV and have it go through it's gyrations of setting up. Only take about 20 minutes I was told by the smiling salesperson. Uh huh! No such thing happened. After a prolonged call with the tech person at Verizon, we learned that the new connection, HDMI, is not working correctly throughout Verizon's entire system and he couldn't tell us when it would be fixed or how we would know it was fixed.

Ed decides to unhook the the cables and go back to what we had. Well, we had picture and sound but it was noisy when there was information being feed across the screen.

I gave up and went to bed to read. This morning, Ed, who must have pondered the problem all night long, decides to rehook the HDMI and unhooked the original "TV In" cable. Have sound and picture but I still can't get my programs from the On-Demand service.

It's been a tough week. I did buy a Christmas wreath for the door, but it's lacking a bow. I'll get around to it this week. Oh sure, something is scheduled for every day this week, too! How did I get so popular?

No comments: